Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Get Your Chill On

Raku - Dupont Circle

Yesterday was a hot, sultry evening and when I met up with an old high school friend the first thing we said to each other after the whole “hey, long time, you look great” crap was “let’s get a chilled beer.” We were also feeling slightly peckish and Raku turned out to suit our needs. It’s an Asian diner which rolls out the sushi in assembly-line precision. So don’t have too many expectations there. I ended up ordering an Asian grilled flank salad from the specials. Normally I hate doing salad entrees, but a cruel summer can do wonders to change your mind. As it turned out, the salad was a perfect accompaniment to my Singha. The flank was tossed over lettuce, spinach leaves, cilantro, basil and a dash of balsamic vinaigrette with a nice mix of crispy onions. A nice change from the usual pad thai, drunken noodles and green curry.
Service: I understand the concept of Raku is like a fast food joint, but the service was too overbearing. We were practically forced to order our entrees and I had to gulp down my beer as the waiter hovered around to take away the bottle.
Décor: Cramped spaces inside with tables bunched up together so warn your friends from Cheney’s office (you may not know who they are even) not to disclose state secrets. Outdoor seating is great depending on the weather but as cramped.
Cost: Appetizers: $3-$8 Entrees: $8-$15 but look for specials!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have been brave a few times and tried the sushi and been pleasantly surprised. Amongst the better dishes though are the dumplings and the Mongolian pork.

Unknown said...

I would recommend the Noodle soup too :-)